Welcome to Kate's Kart!
Kate's Kart is a not-for-profit organization that supplies brand new, free books to hospitalized children to keep for their enjoyment. Our goal is to promote literacy and encourage children, and their families, to read on an ongoing basis.
Kate's Kart was founded in 2008 by the Layman family in memory of their daughter, Katherine Anne Layman (affectionately known to family and friends as "Baby Kate"). Since then, our organization has grown to service 16 area hospitals, plus several pediatric offices. We currently have over 90 volunteers collecting, counting, sorting, labeling, stocking and distributing books.
Due to the overwhelming support through the Barnes & Noble book drive and book fair, we currently have a large stock of certain books.
At this time, we have a plentiful selection of:
1. Coloring Books
2. First Readers (these are the rectangular shaped books with numbers in the upper right corner)
3. Little Golden Books
4. Series Chapter Books (Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House, Captain Underpants, Cam Jansen, A-Z Mysteries, Box Car Kids, etc.)
5. General Young Adult Books (especially classics)
6. Dollar Board Books
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING HAVING A BOOK DRIVE, PLEASE KEEP THIS INFORMATION IN MIND AND SHARE WITH YOUR SUPPORTERS.
Please contact us prior to holding your book drive to ensure that you are collecting the types of books we need most.
Top 11 Most Needed Books
1. Any Dr. Seuss Book
2. Interactive Books for Special Needs (touch-and-feel, books with CDs, books with brightly colored and/or thick pages)
3. Teen Romance Books (ages 15-18)
4. Guiness Book of World Records, Fun Facts or Kids Almanac
5. Princess, Barbie or Other Girly Picture Books
6. Cars, Trucks, Trains or Dinosaur Picture Books
7. Timeless Read-Aloud Books for Newborns
8. Diary of a Whimpy Kid or Big Nate Series
9. Hunger Games Series or Other Current Teen Best Sellers (not including vampire books)
10. Soft Cloth Books for Babies
11. Bibles & Bible Stories
Of course CASH or GIFT CARDS are always appreciated so we can buy the books we need most. Please see our Wish List for more details.
Doing A Fundraiser?
We Want Your Photos
If you have a photo of your child receiving a book from Kate's Kart, we would love to post it in our Photo Gallery. Please send photos to email@example.com.
View photos that others have sent in our Photo Gallery.
Tell Us A Story
If you have received a book from Kate's Kart, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Contact Us page to leave us comment, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read what others are saying about us on our Testimonials page.
For KK Volunteers Only: